Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life as an Editor - Jane Carver/Editor Melange-books.com



I am so blessed to have the most wonderful, caring, funny and inspiring editor, Jane Carver. Jane has taught me so much as a rooky author.

While recently doing the edits for my next short story Always Mr Wrong, I asked Jane if she would share with you, life as an editor.



The document arrives in my Inbox. Novel or short story makes no difference—anticipation builds. As an editor I know I am the proverbial ‘middle man’ between author and publisher. My job is to diplomatically make a good or even great story even better by checking things like format, grammar (their versus there), punctuation and plot continuity.

I open the new document—let’s say it’s a novel—and check formatting. Are the margins set at one inch all around? Are the scene break asterisks centered? Is each sentence separated by one space, rather than two? The one thing that is difficult to see without turning on the Show/Hide icon—is each paragraph indented the proper space, in this case three spots over and are there no extra spaces in front of that first word.

Once the format is correct, I Save As and rename the novel by title, author name, the word EDIT 1 and my initials. At that point, I begin reading the story. Now I am looking for plot hiccups, grammar and punctuation. My computer is set to indicate grammar errors. Easy to correct. Most authors have little trouble with this.

As I read I’ll correct punctuation. Most authors over-use three things: commas, semicolons and exclamation marks. So I turn commas into periods so run-on sentences are shorter and easier to read. Suggest even shorter sentences to create tension. I often remove exclamation marks if they are excessive. Young Adult novels use this mark frequently because contemporary young people seem to speak in exclamations! The editing guidelines allow no semicolons in dialogue so that changes to more appropriate punctuation. I would venture to say I spend more time correcting punctuation than any other component of editing.

I add comments—complimenting the author or asking for clarification or suggesting another way to state something. If this is a series I often have to ask the author to introduce the characters for readers who might not have read previous novels using this hero and heroine. I know the author knows who these people are but a reader will not. If a plot seems to have holes I’ll point that out in my comments and suggest ways the author might adjust or ask the author to come up with a solution to the concern.

I have already made contact with the author, introducing myself and letting him or her know what novel I’ll be editing for them. My goal is to make their story as good as we can possibly get it, still retaining the author’s intent and desires.

When EDIT 1 is finished, I send it to the author, asking her to go over it, accept or reject the suggestions and fine-tune whatever needs adjusting. When I receive the edit back, I do another Save As and title it EDIT 2. Now I am looking for plot holes. The punctuation, grammar and format have been taken care of. Occasionally an author rejects one of these components and I have to edit whatever it is back to the publishing company’s standards. The second edit is where I might find some minute detail in the plot that needs attention. EDIT 2 goes back to the author.

When it returns, I Save As and title the novel FINAL. At this point I read the story a third time. I expect few if any concerns. It happens—an author decides to reject a point I edited or in the shuffle between editor/author something gets undone like punctuation or format. But most often this final edit is the best version of an author’s work. One last time I contact the author, saying the edit looks good and with her permission I’ll send it on to the publishing company. When I get the affirmative email back, I send that to the publisher with the FINAL edit attached.

Despite what the reading public might think, the space between author and publication is not from Point A to Point Z. From author to final product lies an editor whose purpose is not to bleed all over the document, pointing out innumerable flaws, but to share suggestions with the author and work together. The key is diplomacy and working with the author’s best intentions in mind. That is my goal as an editor.

About Jane


Jane Carver

In humid beautiful Texas one hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico, I have been an educator, Challenge Course facilitator, photographer, security staff and now a writer. Wife, mother and grandmother. These titles fit me well. I've held them all--some far longer than others. The title I long strived for was that of writer--now published author.

As a writer, my imagination creates whatever I want. Once I've written something I want to share, it is time to edit, hone that manuscript until there is no doubt what I want the reader to experience. I'm still working at that. And always will. Any writer who says, "I've got this down pat," is only fooling herself.

There are no rules to what your imagination comes up with, but there are guidelines to follow if you want that story to be the best it can. So writers are also learners. Constantly attending conferences, taking classes, reading, communicating with fellow writers. The trick is to take what you learn and make it your own. Write in a way that no one else does. Be fresh!

There is no new story--each has been told. The idea is to tell your story in a new way. So we fill notebooks with ideas, pages with storybook names, jot down dire circumstances then one day, we the writers, pull out an idea from here and a name from there and put it all together. We add tension, conflict, danger, doubt, suspense and maybe love if that's your thing. Polish the words and craft them until you have a story that begs to be read and enjoyed.

That is my challenge: to write such a story. I strive toward that goal every day. Enjoy…Jane Carver (also writing as Elizabeth Eden and Ruth Bolin)

Website: www.romances-by-janie.com

Books by Jane

 Books available from www.melange-books.com

4 comments:

  1. a very interesting read Jo and Jane! Writing a book is on my agenda one day! I am squirreling away the ideas, just need the time once the kids have grown to actually dedicate to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Clare, Mr R often says to me "Oh, that's what you look like." We walk out from my office. xxx

      Delete
  2. Jane was my editor for my next release from Fire&Ice (Melange's YA) She was great! Loved reading about her editing process.

    ReplyDelete