Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Day in the Life of a PublisherNancy Schumacher, Publisher, Melange Books, LLC





I would like to introduce to you all a very remarkable women, my publisher Nancy Schumacher.

Twenty months ago when I was looking for publishers for my first book, For Better or For Worse I had submitted to a few publishers, and received a few offers back, but it was the email from Nancy that really  caught my eye.  Her email offering a contract was the most personnel one I had received. I knew right away, Melange was the right publishing house for me.

Nancy is not just my publisher; she has become a friend, an inspiration and a fantastic mentor.



Thanks, Joanne, for asking me to tell you about my work and life as a publisher.

I’ll begin by saying that ‘diversity’ is the name of the game in the small press publishing world. The work of a publisher is multi-faceted, and can change from day to day.

Because Melange is a small press, with 3 acquiring editors, 16 editors, 6 artists, 2 proof readers and 2 formatters, many times I will assist in every area with the exception of artwork. I am the most unartistic person but I know what I like when I see a cover.

Here is what happens in my day:

·         I generally start out the day early in the morning by reading my email at 6 email addresses. Melange has separate addresses for author-publisher communication, for submissions, acquiring, editing, etc. and yahoo chat lists for authors and fans. This can take sometimes up to 2 hours a day.

·         The next hour or so I sift through submissions to our house and see if anything needs immediate looking at or a response from me. If I see something I initially think looks interesting I send it off to an acquiring editor to look over. Our usual response time to accept or reject a manuscript can be up to 16 weeks. It takes time to look at each manuscript.

·         The next several hours I work at finalizing, formatting our next several books for publication release in the next 4-6 weeks. I load books at our print vendor, order the print proof for the author to check over again before release also.

·         I then respond again to authors emailing me about various stages of their book’s release.

·         I start to receive responses on books to accept or reject from the acquiring editor, look them over and send out the appropriate letters. I type up the contracts and send them to the authors for books we’re accepting, and make sure I have them listed on our release calendars. Currently, we’ve contracted authors through 2014 and into 2015.

·         I will then work on listing our latest releases at vendor sites we do on our own such as All Romance Ebooks and eBookstrand, Smashwords, etc…

·         Then, if I have time, I go out and search the ‘net’ for reviews on our books and forward them to the authors to be sure they receive them.

·         In between all of this I work on royalties as vendor reports and monies come in for each individual author. I also work on tax stuff that needs to be done.

As you can see, a publisher wears many hats and I love every minute of my work day!


Thank you so much Nancy, for taking time out of your busy schedule to enlighten us all. I am sure like myself, my fellow authors and followers had no idea how much work went into publishing books, and I know I for one appreciate the hard work you do for us all.

Nancy’s Bio

Nancy Pirri

Nancy Schumacher is the owner-publisher of Melange Books, LLC, writing under the pseudonym, Nancy Pirri. Nancy started writing fifteen years ago while raising four children. Nancy has been a member of Romance Writers of America and her local chapter, Midwest Fiction Writers, for nine years. She is also one of the founders of a second Minnesota RWA chapter, Northern Lights Writers (NLW). They meet in various locations in north-eastern Minnesota the fourth Saturday of the month.

Nancy's debut historical romance, THE MACAULAY BRIDE, set in late 19th century Scotland, was published in 2003. The debut book received several contest wins and received a TOP PICK award from Romantic Times publication in Oct. 2004. She has written five full-length novels, and many stories included in anthologies with Melange Books, LLC. Her last story, To Love a Music Master appeared in the recently released anthology, Christmas Collectibles.

Nancy was also known as 'Dame Sapphire' and was a member of the author promo organization Jewels of the Quill, www.jewelsofthequill.com. Her stories with the Jewels have won EPPIE (EPIC-Electronically Published Internet Coalition) awards in 2008 and in 2010.
January 1, 2011, Nancy opened her new digital and print on demand house, Melange Books, LLC, www.melange-books.com.
Website: www.nancypirri.com
 

            Available from: www.melnage-books.com


6 comments:

  1. Great topic, Joanne.

    Nancy, Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed getting to know you Nancy, and thanks Joanne for helping us to get a glimpse of someone who's helped us along so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! I'm exhausted just reading about your day! Your hard work is very appreciated, Nancy! (This was a great idea, Joanne!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I think now not only us fellow Melange authors appreciate Nancy hard work, but also our readers. Keep a look out for more about our Melange Staff and their day.

      Delete