Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day in the life of Caroline Andrus - Part 2





I also take care of submissions for the young adult imprint from Melange called Fire and Ice. That means checking the email account daily and looking for new submissions. Reading through the first few chapters and requesting a full manuscript if the portion sent shows potential or sending a rejection letter if the manuscript does not seem like a good fit for Fire and Ice.
I use a free text editor on my Kindle Fire to read the submissions on the go, that way I can dedicate my computer time to my many, many other tasks, and use my Kindle for reading.
Submissions is probably my most time consuming job and probably one of the most rewarding.


FORMATTING EBOOKS

The final job that I have involves the actual book releases. As stated before, I am in charge of getting all books for sale on the company websites. I am also in charge of loading the books for sale on the website's shopping cart as well as getting ready and loading for sale at Smashwords and Amazon Kindle.
When I started out doing the formatting for Smashwords and Amazon it was a little intimidating but I've since got the work flow down pat, I don't even have to really think about what I'm doing—which is a good thing since Netflix and Hulu are my constant companions when doing most of my work, with submissions being the exception.
Formatting for Smashwords and Amazon involves a lot of copying and pasting. I have a Word document saved as a template with all of the styles cleared out. Then I copy the book in, chapter by chapter, removing all of the crazy formatting that ends up hidden in a manuscript. (Seriously, open a Word doc and look at the styles. There are tons of them!) Ideally, at the end, a manuscript will have no more than 5-8 different styles. The more styles you have, the more work you're making an e-reader do. When you have more styles you're setting yourself up for errors in translation from source file to e-reader. At the back of each book I select a few of our other titles that may be relevant to readers of the book I'm formatting and insert the cover and the story summary to entice readers to consider other books published by our company. 
 
 
Formatting a book can take anywhere from half an hour to five hours, depending on how many hidden styles there are that need removing.
Once the book is formatted, including a table of contents, I load at Amazon and preview the book, checking to make sure that each chapter link in the table of contents is functioning correctly, bringing the reader to the correct page. When I'm satisfied I finish entering the information and move on to Smashwords, doing the same thing.

Between all of these jobs I try to make myself on hand to all of our authors. I set up a private Facebook group just for staff and authors so that questions can be easily asked and answered quickly. The group is also used to share ideas for promoting one another's books. I've never worked for another publishing company, but I'm so proud to say that the Melange authors and staff that I have had the privilege of working with feel like family and we all work hard to help one another out.
(And did I mention I do all of this with a two year old running around during the day and an additional six year old in the evening and summers???)


Find Caroline Online:
 


Want me to Review Your Book?As I’ve stated many times, I love reading! If you’re an author or a publisher and want me to read your book, go ahead and send me either the whole book (kindle format please!) or a blurb telling me what the book is about.
I can’t promise I’ll review every book that is request of me. Let’s be honest, if you write a slasher/horror book and I read YA romance, am I really your target audience? No. But, if there’s a chance I might like it, send it on over! Check out my other reviews and my Goodreads ratings to see what I like and don’t like.

http://booksyayesplease.wordpress.com/





Recent Posts

http://talesofanalmostdomesticgoddess.wordpress.com/

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Caroline, how do you keep up? I love the idea of including blurbs of other books at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely keep up! And to add to it, I'm starting another part time job next week! Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very busy person. I'm meeting a lot of those lately. What is it about writers that they have to keep busy?

    ReplyDelete